Gold Recovery Equipment
Gold Rush Trading Post

Don't like seeing these ads? DONATE today and help keep OGH ad free!

Willamette River area gold?

Mineral and Gold Locations by county.

Willamette River area gold?

Postby willamettegold1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 am

HI, IM NEW TO GOLD HUNTING AND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO GO, PERFERABLY AROUND THE WEST LINN AREA? ANY GOLD IN THE WILLAMETTE RIVER? ANYTHING WILL HELP. THANKS
willamettegold1
Cave Dweller

Re: Willamette River area gold?

Postby fishing4gold on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 am

Hey willamettegold1 - welcome to OGH - read the forums - I think the Mollala would be your best bet for something close - good luck!
Ponder this when you find that shine of gold in your pan. . .you are the first to have touched it!
fishing4gold
49er

Postby PNWoutdoors on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 am

I found gold in the Willamette at Salem over the weekend. I found about 20 colors total, including 1 small flake (all the rest was speck flour gold).

I was on a gravel bar on the inside of a large curve. I dug on the downstream side of a mound formed by a clump of willows and piled up gravel. All the gold I found was from the surface down to 18 inches, and from 18 inches down to 3 feet I found nothing at all.

This was only my second time out panning, so I guess even if you are a beginner you can find some color in the Willamette.
Gold mining videos and more!
****http://www.youtube.com/user/PNWSam****

Check out the "Gold Hunters" community on Google+
https://plus.google.com/communities/116312167219733731628
PNWoutdoors
49er

Postby fishing4gold on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

I have heard that there is gold to be found - but the overburden is so thick. . .and it usually is fine stuff. . .
Ponder this when you find that shine of gold in your pan. . .you are the first to have touched it!
fishing4gold
49er

Postby PNWoutdoors on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Yeah there are definitely better places to go. My first trip was on the little north fork of the Santiam and I found one piece, but that one piece was bigger than all the gold I found in 2 days on the Willamette put together. :lol:

I was just happy to find some gold 5 minutes from home.
Gold mining videos and more!
****http://www.youtube.com/user/PNWSam****

Check out the "Gold Hunters" community on Google+
https://plus.google.com/communities/116312167219733731628
PNWoutdoors
49er

Postby willamettegold1 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for all the help guys!
willamettegold1
Cave Dweller

Postby orogrande on Sun May 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Yeah, the Willamette has gold. I have a good gold minin' friend who once set up a
gold catcher/sluice in the equipment of a Willamette gravel company in the Valley. Every week he
would show up to collect his gold from them, but after a while he figured it wasn't worth his time
anymore to make the trip. But he said the gold was there. I wonder how he would feel about it
now that gold is over 1500 bucks an ounce.

Another friend and I do some panning every summer in the Willamette near Albany. We can get from
one to a half dozen specks per pan. Not really worth our trouble, but the bug strikes and we just have to
get out close to home sometime and get wet with good exercise.

I can find gold in the Willamette at Corvallis - same thing, but still fun. Besides, I can always lay my pan down and get out the fishing rod. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.
orogrande
Cave Dweller

Postby orogrande on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi all,

Just an update to my post about Willamette River gold.

Some of you are curious about just where in the Corvallis area I can find gold. The answer is easy - any wide flat exposed gravel bar will do. It tends to be spotty. If your bar is below the inside of a river bend, that increases your chances.

Basically, I just try to read the Willamette River like any gold bearing stream. Where are the heavies most likely to settle
on its edges? Grass roots near the water can be good. Sometimes you get the gold by wading out and using a shovel to
fill your underwater gold pan. You gotta experiment.

Willamette Park in Corvallis, downstream - occasional color. Bryant Park in Albany - above the mouth of the (gold bearing)
Calapooia. I suppose downstream would work well, if you can get access and find the right kind of bank/bar etc.

You will have fun and get good exercise, but don't expect to hit the mother lode. I never had any luck in the Mary's.
orogrande
Cave Dweller

Return to By County