Mineral and Gold Locations by county.
#11463 by julietorell
Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:44 am
Hi, I am very new to prospecting and would like to take my kids panning for the day. I would like to take the either to the Quartzville Recreational Corridor or to Myrtle Creek off of Dole Road. Which place would provide a better panning experience, as far as finding more color? Thanks for all your help and suggestions! If you could suggest anyplace closer to the Portland Metro area, that would be appreciated too!

Advertising

#11489 by Mr. K
Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:34 pm
You mean you dont fill your holes back in, plant a native species tree,tamp the soil gently and then say a prayor asking forgivness for disturbing mother nature? :lol:

It's alright I dont either, but please dont tell anyone. :mrgreen:
#11491 by kerbyjackson
Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:19 am
I think Dole likely has the stronger reputation for giving up the most color anywhere outside of the Rogue Valley. Somewhere on here, there is a map showing the best spots at Dole that Rob put together. That said, there are A LOT of good looking spots on the South Umpqua. I don't know the access issues involved, but there is some amazing exposed bedrock and other likely looking spots up there.

I have also heard good reports about the Yellowbottom site at Quartzville, but like Dole, I've also heard poor reports.
#11820 by weezy
Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:47 pm
I visited Yellow Bottom last year in mid-July. The water level was high at that time, and I didn't try this year since the streams have been running higher than normal all summer long. Try further south, east of Riddle.
#11851 by 4theluvofgold
Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:57 pm
When going with family I would chose dole. Easier to get to, in autumn is warmer then Quartzville area. The gold is shallower to get to, less depth of digging which I know my 4 year old gets bored quick if its deep and long digging he's always too excited to get to the panning. Plus its only 5 minutes from town which means if something is needed its easier then the 20+ miles plus curvy from Quartzville at the better places.

Quartzville is good if you search and sample right. But dole has clues left everywhere about where they're digging.