Gold Recovery Equipment
Gold Rush Trading Post

Don't like seeing these ads? DONATE today and help keep OGH ad free!

Oregon Beach Mining

Post photos from your outings or club get together's.

Oregon Beach Mining

Postby cloudwalker on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 am

" A Foolish man builds his house upon the sand, A Wise man sets his sluice up"

A few shots from our family beach mining trip to Southern Oregon. We set up on a beach just North of Brookings, Oregon. A short walk from the parking lot we found an entire beach made of black sand. I sampled up and down the beach and decided on a spot against the treeline at the back of the beach where I found 30 colors in a handful of sand. We set-up my garbage can beach sluice in creek and ran unclassified sand through it. It was the easiest mining I have ever done. The kids found a lot in their pans while I ran the sluice, but found panning the straight black sand challenging. It would be good practice for anyone. No pickers of course, but seeing a pan full of color smiling back at you sure is cool. We took away close to 1/8 ounce from the sluice. I still have 45 pounds of concentrate to go through that I shipped back to Tennessee. A big Thanks to everyone that gave this Tennessean info on beach mining. Enjoy the pics.

the results of the first five buckets of unclassified sand
cloudwalker
49er

Re: Oregon Beach Mining

Postby justinburnett on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:15 am

That's awesome. That's some fine-ass gold there. Literally, but it all adds up the same in the end. I'm glad you had a good time down there and found some gold. Have a safe trip home.
justinburnett
49er

Postby galenrog on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Breaks my heart that I have not gotten to the beach yet this year. I have been able to visit my kids out of state and grandkids, so that makes up for a lot of it. That is an interesting looking sluice you got there. As long as it worked out It doesn't matter how it's made, does it? When I go down toward Gold Beach and Brookings I run my sluice until full of heavy sand, clean it to a tub, and repeat until I got no more daylight. If I can spend a long weekend there I typically end up with 1/2 to 1 oz after cleaning the cons at home. This stuff is small, but if you can find a paystreak in the heavy sands you can do pretty well.
If you aren't making money at this, you are just playing in the dirt.
galenrog
49er

Postby kerbyjackson on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Well done, Cloudwalker.

Next time you come out this way, you look me up and we'll get you something a little bigger than stuff.
kerbyjackson
49er

Postby ruarto on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:02 pm

From TN? Im from Knoxville, just moved here to OR! Nice place called Eagle Point near Medford.
I hve heard of the Gold Beach but thought it was so fine you couldnt reclaim it without Mercury or Acids.... I am so impressed!!

Im not exacctly sure where you were but do see Gold Beach on the map. Near there? If so I think thats only about a couple hour drive from here, and will for sure see if I can duplicate your success !!

Take care...
ruarto
Cave Dweller

Postby cloudwalker on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:30 am

Thanks for the offer on help finding the bigger stuff. We did spend more time sampling different areas than we did mining. All of the area available was a bit overwhelming to this Easterner. We did find some bigger gold down on the Klamath. Two pro miners saw our family panning on the mega-hole near Happy Camp after we couldn't find water small enough for our sluices. The two guys wanted my girls to find some big gold so bad that they stopped their operation and turned their 3 in. highbanker over to us for the rest of the day and also let us shovel from their spot. We had never met Bob and Chris before and they turned out to be the nicest people we ever met. They essentially gave up a days pay to help out a few kids. Miners are the nicest people in the world. We will be back soon.
kerbyjackson wrote:Well done, Cloudwalker.

Next time you come out this way, you look me up and we'll get you something a little bigger than stuff.
cloudwalker
49er

Postby 4theluvofgold on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 am

nice sluice design. on the slick plate at the top, paint chaulk board paint on it. will help a bunch.
4theluvofgold
49er

Postby Gabe1983 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:05 am

I saw this sluice of your's over at the Canadian Prospector's Forum awhile back (http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=3822.0). Glad to see it worked out successfully! :)

I notice that when you actually used it, though, you changed the position of the picker guard, from where it was initially. Any special reason for this?

Also, how much did it cost you to build this thing and can you give any more details on the construction than were given in the Canadian thread? Thanks in advance.
Image Image
Member GPAA
Gabe1983
49er

Postby currydigger on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 am

Cool glad you had fun, the gold is small there. You were 5 minutes from me I live right by there up on the hill. I frequent that beach with the wife for fun not mining. Look me up next time if you are coming to brookings. We'll grill some meat down there or something.
currydigger
Prospector

Postby andrewsmith066 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:32 am

very nice cloudwalker, at least you found some gold, next time you will find me before you reach :)

Beach Videos | Fresh-ner
andrewsmith066
Cave Dweller

Next

Return to Outings