Introduce yourself and let everyone know a bit about you.
Forum rules: Have fun and remember,

All that Glitters is not Gold

All the shiny gold-colored material in you gold pan may not be gold. Pyrite, known as "fools gold," has fooled many before you. On close examination, however, pyrite does not really look like gold. Pyrite has a brassy color, is sometimes tarnished, and, because it occurs as crystals, changes shades as you rotate it in the sun. Gold is always gold colored, soft, and malleable or bendable. If you see gold-colored flecks that either float on the water or are so light in weight that they easily wash out of the pan, you probably have small pieces or "books" of mica, a mineral that because it is transparent and heat resistant was once used in doors of stoves so the fire could be seen. Mica has a tendency to break apart into flat sheets. It comes in several colors, and the the gold-colored variety is sometimes mistaken for gold by inexperienced gold panners.

If you are lucky enough to find gold in your pan, it can come in many shapes: small lumps or nuggets, wires, feather-shaped crystals, or flat flecks. Pieces can range in size from almost microscopic "colors" (very small pieces) up to fist-sized nuggets, but your chances of finding the latter are pretty remote. However, gold panners are optimistic, and you never know what the next pan will produce.
#24615 by DirtyLittleSecret
Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:35 pm
Hello,
Am looking at getting some rather basic kit put together for recreational weekend gold sleuthing. Thinking about starting with a set of black and green 14" pans, and a Jobe 45 Yellow Jacket Sluice Box.
Any recommendations/links/books/etc on starter plans or thoughts on where to go in a 100 mile radius from Portland, OR/Mt. Hood would be very appreciated! Glad to have found a site dedicated to Oregon.
Thanks much,
Dirty

Advertising

#24618 by LUCKE1
Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Welcom, this is a great site, and people here are a wealth of knowledge. The only place I know of is dole bar in Myrtle Creek, Or, its 206 miles from Gresham. A bit farther for you. Everytime I have gone there I have gotten gold, you wont pull nuggets, but its a great place to learn how to find gold, you are sure to get some color. As far as gear goes, i shop at D&K Detectors on Division in Portland. I would also suggest joining a club, I belong to Northwest mineral prospector Club.
www.nwmpc.com Check them out. As far as around here I'm Still looking for gold. :D
#24631 by rookieminer
Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:20 pm
Greetings,

Is it Mt. hood Oregon in Hood River County you live in? If it is you could be a neighbor of mine.

I agree about Dole. I also like going to quartzville, It's closer as the crow flies, but I think you can drive to Dole quicker.
I just like quartzville because when you get a good camp spot you pretty much have that section of river to yourself. The nice thing about dole for a beginner is, you can tell by the holes (from other people) where to find some gold at.

Good luck,

rookieminer
#24749 by DirtyLittleSecret
Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 am
Thanks for the pointers guys. RM- My primary residence in actually in Troutdale, but also have a place uphill from Parkdale. Always running between the two. Great site, and can tell that I'll be up late reviewing posts.
#24767 by fishing4gold
Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 pm
Welcome to OGH! Lots of good info and people here - post a question and read the forums and you shall learn like all of us! Good luck!
#24791 by rookieminer
Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 pm
DirtyLittleSecret wrote:Thanks for the pointers guys. RM- My primary residence in actually in Troutdale, but also have a place uphill from Parkdale. Always running between the two. Great site, and can tell that I'll be up late reviewing posts.

I've lived in Parkdale all of my life, it's a great little town. Except for the lack of gold.

Another place good place to check out is the Little North Fork of the Santiam.

good luck,

rookieminer
#24792 by mossytop
Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:02 pm
Welcome to OGH. You can also try the Molalla. Not a lot of gold, but it is there. Much closer too.