Post dates and info for planned outings.
#26007 by cattsscann
Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 am
Greetings Gold Bugs.

Im looking at attending the Outing at Burnt River in June. Im not much of a camper, no tent or rv. I will be finding a nearby motel to stay at.

I'm just looking for anyone familiar with the area that can point me in the right direction for a decent room, and good food.
And any information on what I can expect at the outing if you have atteneded it before.

Thanks and have a great day.
Cliff M.

Advertising

#26017 by small shine
Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm
What kind of outing? What club or organization is holding it? Just wondering, that way I can possibly give you info. I was on the Burnt yesterday.
#26023 by IdahoDave
Tue May 15, 2012 6:16 am
If you are referring to the GPAA outing on the Burnt River, the closest motels are either in Baker City(NW), or SW in Ontario.
The outing us up the Burnt River West of Durkee. There is a restaurant/fuel stop in Durkee, but not much else. Baker City back NW up I-84. Durkee to Baker City at the Freeway off ramp is 24 miles. Durkee back to ONtario is aobut 45 miles.
Baker city, if you have not been there, is a nice place to see. If you are there when the US Bank is open, you can see the gold display that has come from the mines in the area.View Map
Both cities have many motels and places to eat.
The GPAA camp is a good place for camping depending on the weather. Very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter.
Burnt River canyon is know for it's snakes. Take lots of water.
#26029 by cattsscann
Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 am
Small Shine, IdahoDave nailed it on the head.

It is the GPAA Outing coming up in June.

Dave, Thanks for the Info. I think I'm going to have to take a run up there this weekend and scope things out a bit. Make sure I can even find the place first. If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right the first time.
#26031 by ClickTheYellowChick
Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 am
Durkee restaurant is closed and has been for quite some time. There are snack items available at the gas station there at Durkee, however. Bread, candy, chips, chilled beverages, charcoal, smokes, the customary teeny tiny town fare.

Couple of the tavs in Huntington, 20miles So. on 1-84, just off the freeway serve pretty good sandwiches and chips, burgers, salads, and chicken fried steak, w/seating just to the left of the bar when you walk in. That's the closest to "restuarant fare" out there in the eastern Oregon desert.
Last edited by ClickTheYellowChick on Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
#26032 by IdahoDave
Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 am
didn't know about Redneck Cafe being closed. Don't stop there on the way to Baker unless have a flat tire(couple years ago). Used to stay in Huntington in the 60's but only 'cause was working on the Freeway expansion, but not much in at Farewell Bend either. Motel and cafe and fuel stop closed as far as I know.
#26033 by ClickTheYellowChick
Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 am
Correct. Farewell Bend has closed and gutted the service station & the restaurant. And the motel is closed as well. It sucks to have family visiting company and live in Eastern OR.
#26034 by IdahoDave
Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 am
i only stay in motels in La Grande when on business occasionally Pendleton('cept during rodeo and Hermiston horse sale when all are filled). RV it to hunting and gold in the Blue's.
#26039 by cattsscann
Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm
hmmm,,, wonder if any of my friends have a small pull rv I can borrow, other wise i might be sleeping with the crickets or burning alot of fuel back and forth each day.
#26056 by IdahoDave
Wed May 16, 2012 9:23 am
depending on where you live, you can usually find a tent trailer to rent