Chat about anything you want.
#5010 by alaskaflounder
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:18 pm
Does anybody feel that the GPAA membership worth it in Oregon? Are their claims / outings any good here?

Advertising

#5030 by kerbyjackson
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 am
GPAA is worth your money, but it is not without its problems. As one example, I am a little upset with the lack of normal editions of Pick & Shovel.

The claim situation in SW Oregon is in shambles, but it would be worth the money to get access to GPAA claims in the northern parts of the state if you don't have your own claim. But as you might expect, as their claims are heavily accessed (and there's no doubt that a lot of non members use the claims simply because the word is out on where they are), the easy spots are hard hit.

I have generally, heard good things about their outings, but have yet to attend one.

Overall, I would say it is worth the money for the magazine, gear and DVDs you receive as a new member.

The important thing is that you see GPAA for what it is. It is a poor man's equiviliant to New 49ers, in that it's a business offering a service and you get what you pay for in comparison to price.
#5044 by kristipher
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm
been to several gpaa claims here in oregon and have found little. i seem to do better on unclaimed places. havent been to one any farther south than quartville, so my opinion is still being reckoned.
#5049 by willthedancer
Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:37 pm
I have not found much on the claims in the western Cascades, and they are worked really hard, but the ones in Southern Oregon have been good to me. Too bad we lost the one on Sam's Creek. The one on Palmer Cr gave me small nuggets, but its hard work, and the top layer of gravels are cemented with precipitated lime. Boulder winches required there too. The GPAA claim on Copper Cr in SW Washington is worked hard, and is patrolled by aggressive USFS law enforcement.
#5062 by kerbyjackson
Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:46 am
I agree. The Sunshine Suzi was heavily worked but it was a nice claim apart from the issues it had. I found a lot of flood gold, but nothing chunky or sizeable. I'm convinced that though the creek was hit hard, there was great potential above the waterline.

Speaking of that claim, Will, whatever happened with the problem you had over there?
#5069 by oregongold.net
Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:34 pm
In my opinion, the GPAA is good for one thing....The other members. Claims guide and access to those claims are just a kicker. GPAA is a club and people make up the club. The best way to access the benefits is to join a local chapter. By joining a local chapter, you meet people who you can plan trips with, ect. People are what make it a success! Organized events such as the blue bucket outing, are basically the same thing on a larger scale.

I went prospecting for 10 years on my own. But I have found there is value in having a few good folks who share the same interests as yourself. People have different knowledge. Some might be into Geology, while someone else might know how to run certain equipment. Some might know mining history or delve into the mysteries of the past. That might sound corny, but its true. It is nice to have contacts and I think that is what the GPAA offers.

Of coarse, you have to make an effort to get involved in the events and meet people.
#5095 by willthedancer
Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:20 pm
kerbyjackson wrote:I agree. The Sunshine Suzi was heavily worked but it was a nice claim apart from the issues it had. I found a lot of flood gold, but nothing chunky or sizeable. I'm convinced that though the creek was hit hard, there was great potential above the waterline.

Speaking of that claim, Will, whatever happened with the problem you had over there?

Define chunky would you. My sights may be set too low, but when it will not go up the sucker bottle, and aint flat, I think its chunky. The top and bottom of the clay layer was super good to me, other than being sporadic. Nice garnets too, and no black sand.

As for my interaction with law enforcement there, i paid my piddly little 94 dollar fine for parking on the grass during fire season, and told that deputy's supervisor that if I ran across that kind of poop from his guys again it would not go well for them --ORS 517.133, and ORS 162.410 and ORS 161.415. He agreed that it did not go well.
#5108 by kerbyjackson
Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 am
When I say, "chunky", I mean the stuff that won't fit up a snuffer bottle and is rough opposed to smooth, indicating it only traveled a short distance.

I'm pretty much convinced that most of the spots I worked at Sam's (mainly around small boulders) had been worked previously and were simply filled in with new material. That said, even though what I got was small and flat, it had a very bright, shiny color. I don't know if it was the purest gold I've ever found, but it was certainly purer than a lot of places I've worked. I keep watching that area (Sam's Creek and nearby Rock Creek) to see if anything opens up over there.

Good on you for putting your foot down. I guess time will tell if they were listening.
#5120 by spilsnthrils
Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:58 am
That claim was worked to death. It looked like a mine field. Every step was a hole. I did a bit of digging their early last year found mostly small flakes and a few shattered garnets nothing big. I did not get a chance to run my dredge in the creek as I was finding more gold at my place so I did not return. I am sure that the creek has been worked over and over. There where a few spots of bedrock that where visible and I had thought about dredging around them but from the looks of the creek I could tell some one had already hit them hard, fact any spot that looked good had been worked over. This is how all the GPAA claims are that I have been to. So the GPAA claims are good for a person that has no place else to dig or is new to prospecting and just looking for a plot to dig up any one serious about mining should look at the GPAA as merely a club to be a member of. The other problem is the GPAA claims are know by law enforcement and tend to be areas of their focus as law knows the people there are most likely to be uneducated in the law and easy targets as they are new to mining and prospecting and just out for play time. This was told to me by a state trooper.