All about gold, minerals, gems, agates and more.

Advertising

#29648 by Umpqua_E
Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 am
Probably, yes.....it has to be there, but the overburden will usually be extreme (beyond possible, even for industrial equipment).

But, you might find the finest flour, i.e., beach gold. Look for areas where the river is, or was at some point, sorting aggressively (gravel bars in areas where only big rocks have been left behind).
#29652 by 4theluvofgold
Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm
Yes you can. Now in the upper upper areas of Willamette you can find it easier. Lower sections it is there, It has sunk through the thick overburden. Some of the better places are where feeder streams come into the Willamette. In gravel bars you will find black sand deposits where you will find flour. But you need to do a good serch and test layers to get to anything. Deep down in the lower areas I would like to really work some spots. Same with Columbia. Columbia is fed all the way from British Columbia with many excellent gold bearing streams it is down there deep.
#29656 by PNWoutdoors
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 pm
I have found flour and small thin flakes in Salem. A large part of my first year prospecting was spent solely on the Willamette playing around. It's there for sure, but it's tiny. It takes some tracking down. The agates and petrified wood are more worthwhile, but the gold is fun. I have found that outcroppings of rusty, cemented OLD hardpack produce the best results. Drive 25 miles for much better gold if that's what you're after. Good luck.