Chat about anything you want.
#22502 by kennedy82mp
Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:29 pm
does anyone know what the laws are for dredging in the ocean? is there any good gold in it? i know people do pretty good on the beaches so i would think the ocean would be good too

Advertising

#22508 by goldkimber
Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:38 am
Can't say I've done this one yet. Sure would like to meet/hear from someone who has. I know the guys are working in real shallow water (20 feet or so) up out of Nome, AK. But our shelf off the coast of oregon drops off pretty fast. Being a mile out of Nome, AK and only being in 20 feet of water is pretty impressive. Look at any Nautical maps off oregon, you go a mile out and you are in 100+ feet of water pretty quick. That makes for one damn expensive, damn heavy dredge hose... even if you had a car engine to pump the material that far upto the surface! Ocean Dredging presents some serious logistical challenges. I'm open to any ideas.
#22510 by klybs
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 am
One thing we do have that AK doesn't have is great white sharks,so good luck with that .
#22512 by Nitro 54
Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 am
I don't think the surf here on the Left Coast would let you be able to float a dredge..
#22527 by Miner Mikes Metals
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:48 pm
Oergon has large of shore Gold deposits but they are in National Marine Preserves. Few areas are under 25 Ft and the serf would be a problem. We looked into it last year for are twin 8" Ocean dredge we have under devolapment. At this time Im afraid its not an option as for Nome Gas was over $9.00 a gallen last summer so dig deap and good luck.
#22531 by kennedy82mp
Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:42 pm
OH F**K NO. im not messing around a G.W. Oh no no no.
Miner Mike, post pics of your dredge. Ive got the fever but have nothing to scratch with. What type of riffles do best for nome?
#22545 by fishing4gold
Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 am
Sounds like it would not be very easy with depth, surf and temp. . .but you never know!
#22555 by alaskaflounder
Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 am
If you are really wanting to get wet in ocean-like conditions, you can always dredge in the Rogue estuary which is where a lot of the gold is coming from anyway.
#22567 by wildminer
Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm
On good days you could get in to 3 fathoms or a little less. Waiting for a good day would take patience. The weather in the summer with prevailing northerly winds is noticably flatter north of Bandon. September may be the nicest weather. Next trick would be to get your dredge launched. Might be best to have a mother ship to get your dredge towed or packed to where you want to be then anchor out. I have a 50 foot boat and would be interested if someone had it together. I'm pretty sure ODFW would have something to say. there's probably an endangered sand flea or something else they're worried about. None of this would be for the faint of heart! Flounder is pointing in the right direction. Dredging is open year round west of Hwy. 101, even in our salmon bearing rivers.
#22578 by kennedy82mp
Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 pm
That is good to know. I thought it was closed, especially the salmon bearing rivers. So how much river is there west of 101? I am really new. I am planning on at least doing a dive course that uses hookah equipment. Alaskaflounder, where do you usually prospect?