Chat about anything you want.
#17335 by RonPaul2012
Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:40 pm
I live close to the molalla river and I am always hearing stories of the Ogle Creek gold mine. I hear people mine up there still.(paning sluicing,ect)

Is this true?
How far of a drive is it from downtown Molalla?
Has anyone ever panned or sluiced there?
Has anyone had even a little luck?
When can you mine there?
Where can I get more info about Ogle creek?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just a super exited NEW :? gold hunter :roll:

Wait! 1 more question. Is there a place around me that I could try to make a living outta gold hunting, without going to jail? They have the mollala closed to mining except for 1 month of the year :cry: How can I make a living only mining 1 month a year? :cry: So what should I do if I want to mine every day, 8 hrs a day? Is there anyway this can be done legally? Wow I guess that was a lot more than 1 question :lol: Anyway any advise is welcome and needed. I am lost :|

Advertising

#17340 by William6
Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm
wire gold...gold in little wire shapes, sometimes very small, like fine steel wool filiments.

As to making a living prospecting, depends what you consider a living. Can you live on $10,000 a year?? To even get that much takes a lot of work, most likely in eastern Oregon, maybe sw Oregon.,Calif., Nevada or Alaska. http://www.icmj.com/ get a copy of the March edition (it was free at the gold show) there was a very realistic article addressing this very question. Yes there was a guy written about (in an earlier edition of the mining journal) that detected his way to 20 oz. in one season in the Siskiyous,(N. Cali) but this is atypical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#17352 by willthedancer
Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am
The hard rock mine is up near the headwaters. There was pretty extensive work done there, especially considering the rest of the North Santiam Mining District's limited development. The Ore was interesting in that it was free milling, and the gangue material is predominantly calcite. Something on the order of 4000 feet of drifting, and some stoping were done. Fairly impressive in that most holes in the walls were disappointing. One does not drive 4000 feet of drifts for nothing. Back in thew 80's, before folks started totally hammering the lower creek, I found some very nice wire gold there. If you march up the creek, you get to a spot where the ravine becomes very narrow, and there are two house size boulders wedged against each other and the walls. I have not gone beyond there. There is no way to get above there without rappelling, or perhaps crawling through the opening where the water flows out. Looked like a cold path, so I didn't go. Might be worth it. Since the creek flows north, it does not get much sun, and it's chilly in there.
#17380 by RonPaul2012
Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm
very nice guys thanks for all the info :) Should we not plan a big outing to Olge creek? Id be down to go if anyone wants to get this party started!
#17390 by wmasonry
Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm
The better gold is down south, but sometimes I get the itch to do a little mining and 200 miles is just to far. I would be interested in checking the area out sometime. If anyone is headed that way let me know, propobly better to go with somebody, so you dont get shot by some crazy pot growers up there! :lol:
Cody
#17395 by Oswalla
Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 pm
Last I checked thats private property. Do your own research but fars I know thats weyrhauser land. Just saying know where your going or have good story for johnny law when they show up.