Gold Recovery Equipment
Gold Rush Trading Post

Don't like seeing these ads? DONATE today and help keep OGH ad free!

MINING CLAIM RESEARCH???

Chat about anything you want.

MINING CLAIM RESEARCH???

Postby rookieminer on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Since the geo. has shut down I've been having trouble researching areas to prospect for mining claims. I work during the day and it's difficult to find time to call the blm. Even when I do get a hold of them, they often act put out by doing any checks for me.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any other on line way of checking for active mining claims?

Thanks for any help

rookieminer
rookieminer
49er

Re: MINING CLAIM RESEARCH???

Postby kerbyjackson on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Get a copy of Prospector's Power Pack 2010 from the Arizona Gold forum. It is out of date info (maybe six months?), but plugs into Google Earth and will at least give you a rough idea of what's out there. Then use the identify feature on what is left of GeoComm and start clicking on each quarter. Take a screenshot of the PLSS map for the areas that interest you and redraw the claims in with boundaries, names, etc..

This will not be fast, simple or effecient, but it will work as you will be basically reconstructing geo communicator.

I'm afraid it's the only way now.
kerbyjackson
49er

Postby contenderplacer on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 pm

good luck with that id like to know myself, not that i will ever have a claim again...
prospecting is our right , not a crime !!!!

MINING ISNT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART OR THE LAZY OF ASS....SO MUCH WORK FOR SO LITTLE RETURN...I DONT THINK SO..THE RETURN ISNT IN GOLD... BUT IN LIFELONG FRIENDSHIPS AND ACQUINTENCES.......KVB-1867....
contenderplacer
49er

Postby Umpqua_E on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 am

Well, remember too, that it is still the claim owners LEGAL OBLIGATION to post signs at their claim.

I understand that signs get pulled sometimes, but that is primarily a problem w/ placer claims, on creeks, with roads adjacent. Lode claims tend to be "up in the hills" and I don't really buy that no one can keep a sign up.

Knowing which section/ quarter section you're actually in, while out in the woods, minute by minute, is truly impossible, even for trained land surveyors (I've worked with them). So, if you have a claim, not marked, and you expect that it's everyone else's responsibility to just "know" that you've got a paper filed in a cabinet somewhere, and you expect everybody to always know precisely what their legal location is........Simply not possible, which makes that expectation totally irrational.

Which is why it is a LEGAL OBLIGATION to post. No sign, no claim, period. I'll walk where I want, and if you inform me that I'm on your unmarked claim, I'll politely apologize and move immediately. BUT, I'm not doing YOUR WORK FOR YOU.

Post signs, or forfeit, or, just accept that once in a blue moon, someone like me just might drift through for a few hours.
Umpqua_E
49er

Return to General Chat